According to the Arthritis Foundation, arthritis is the primary cause of disability in America, affecting about 1 in 4 people.
Arthritis is a term used to describe over 100 diseases damaging your joints, muscles, and skeletal system. The word arthritis itself means “joint inflammation”. However, this inflammation is not limited to joints only; but the surrounding tissues like ligaments and tendons also get affected.
Let’s talk about some common symptoms of arthritis, its causes, treatments, and where you can go in Melbourne, FL, for effective arthritis treatment.
Symptoms of Arthritis
Most symptoms of arthritis are related to joints and include:
- Difficulty moving joint
In addition to these symptoms, each type of arthritis may cause its own unique symptom. For example, juvenile rheumatoid arthritis causes eye problems like iritis.
Causes of Arthritis
No single cause results in all types of arthritis, and each type of arthritis have its own unique cause. Some possible causes of arthritis include:
- A metabolic problem can result in calcium pyrophosphate deposition disease (CPPD) and gout
- An injury to the joint can result in degenerative arthritis
- An immune system problem can result in lupus and rheumatoid arthritis
- A genetic inheritance can cause osteoarthritis
- An infection like Lyme disease can trigger the symptoms of arthritis
It’s important to mention here that some types of arthritis have no obvious cause; therefore, it’s not possible to predict their emergence.
Treatment of Arthritis
There are many treatment approaches for arthritis that aims to control pain, minimize joint damage and improve joint function and quality of life. Common treatment approaches for arthritis include:
- Injection therapy – This is an excellent alternative to oral drug therapy but exert various side effects. In injection therapy, certain medications, such as anesthetics, corticosteroids, and hyaluronic acid, are injected at the pain site to relieve pain and discomfort.
- Viscosupplementation – This involves the injection of a lubricant such as hyaluronic acid in your joints to relieve joint stiffness and pain.
- Platelet-Rich Plasma Therapy –PRP therapy is recommended for arthritis as the platelet and plasma of the therapy supercharge the healing of the damaged joint. PRP also help arthritis patients by repairing the damaged cells and replacing them with new cells.
- Radiofrequency Ablation Therapy – The painful arthritic joints respond well to radiofrequency ablation. In the therapy, radio waves are used to heat and destroy the nerve endings that send pain signals to the brain from affected joints.
- Spinal Cord Stimulation Therapy – As a type of neuromodulation therapy, spinal cord stimulation therapy uses electric waves to block the pathway between your brain and nerves and thus eliminate pain.
Arthritis Treatment Near Me in Melbourne, FL
Joint pain due to arthritis can impair your daily activities and quality of life. If your arthritis symptoms aren’t going away with rest and home remedies, make a consultation with one of our pain management doctors. At Central Florida Spine and Pain, our dedicated team of professionals has received advanced training in providing personalized care to arthritis patients. We offer interventional pain management strategies to help our patients overcome the impact of arthritis.
Call us at (321) 802-5021 to book a consultation with our doctor near you or use our convenient online appointment request form.